Sport in the United Kingdom
Study sport in exciting London, England and Edinburgh, Scotland, during the winter of 2017-2018 alongside Longwood students and faculty. During this program, students will be introduced to the social and historical aspects of UK Sport as well as learn to play some sports such as cricket and curling. Notable excursions include visits to Wimbledon, 2012 Olympic Park, and the Scottish Highlands. This program is open to all majors.
SOCL/KINS 261 The course explores issues related to the structure and culture of sport as well as the historical foundations of U.K. sport. Students will focus on how sociological ideas such as forms of inequality, globalization, identity, fandom, and the relationships between other institutions and the sporting system. Attention will be paid to learning the skills and strategies associated with different U.K. sports such as cricket, rounders, and curling.
The program is open to all academic majors. Students must possess a 2.5 overall GPA.
- April 12, 2017: 3:00 p.m.
- April 13, 2017: 3:30 p.m.
Both sessions to be held in Ruffner 108
Dec 27: Depart Dulles
Dec 28 - Jan 5: London
Jan 5 - Jan 11: Edinburgh
Jan. 11: Depart Edinburgh
*Note: Itinerary is subject to change*
Students will stay in hotels.
(which include airfare) are estimated to be about $3,700. Tuition will be billed separately.
The Office of International Affairs offers three scholarships:
- Lancers Abroad Scholarship: up to $500 for short-term programs or $900 for semester programs
- Presidential Scholarship: up to $2,000 for semester-long programs in which participants are studying in non-Anglophone countries (generally reserved for foreign language majors, but students taking courses in the host language are also encouraged to apply).
- Global Engagement Scholarship: up to $1,200 for those participating in a faculty-led program; applicants must be Pell Grant recipients to be eligible (including Honors)
Honors students are eligible for separate funding through the Cormier Honors College. Contact Jessi Znosko to get started.
For more information on these and many other scholarship opportunities, visit our Scholarships page
- Note: students must participate in all pre-departure logistics planning and informational sessions.
- Participation in any credit-bearing study abroad program through Longwood will waive General Education Goal 9.
- Questions about academic content? Contact Dr. Jason Milne.
- Questions about the study abroad process for this program? Contact Dr. Emily Kane.