IFSA - CHILEAN UNIVERSITIES PROGRAM, SANTIAGO
WHY STUDY IN SANTIAGO?
Santiago is the economic, political, and cultural heart of Chile and therefore an ideal location for a study abroad experience. The city enjoys modern infrastructure, diverse architecture, green parks, and a delightful Mediterranean climate. Its central location provides opportunities for travel throughout Chile and Latin America, while its wide range of cultural and entertainment options will make you want to stay in the city.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Propel yourself beyond your peers with a resume-enhancing internship or directed research as part of your study abroad program. Located in foothills of Andes Mountains, this program places you directly in the Chilean capital city of Santiago and invites you to join other advocates and leaders. Live a cosmopolitan, urban lifestyle as you put your penchant for social justice, politics, and law to work internationally in this emerging Latin American market.
You may select from classes at two of Latin America’s top universities: Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile and Universidad de Chile. This program is ideal for students majoring in pre-law, political science, international relations, business majors, and more.
We offer semester study on the Chilean Universities Program in Santiago, where you’ll take classes alongside local students at two different universities. To complement your learning, we offer IFSA elective classes specially designed to increase your language skills and facilitate engagement in the local community. These classes, taught in Spanish by local professors, are intended to provide you with an understanding of the events and issues that make Chile what it is today.
- Advanced Spanish I or Advanced Spanish II
- Coming Fall 2022 - Directed Research
- Exploring Community & Culture in a Global Cohort
- International Internship Seminar
To complete your course load alongside Chilean students at our local partner universities, you can explore their online course catalogs by visiting the Chilean Universities Program, Santiago on the IFSA website. You can choose to take all your classes at one university or select a mix from both.
Direct Enroll Classes in English
- Universidad de Chile
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Classes taught in English are open to you as an IFSA student provided you meet the stated prerequisites. However, prior to arrival you should discuss with your home institution’s study abroad advisor any academic requirements related to study abroad in a non-English speaking location. Featured classes include:
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Business Intelligence and Database Applications
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Environmental Economics
- European Union Law and Latin-American Integration
- Intercultural Business Challenges in Latin America
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Investment Law
- Introduction to European Law
- Latin American Politics and World Affairs
- Managing Multinational Corporations in Latin America
- Strategic Alliances, Mergers, and Acquisitions
- The Chilean Political Crisis: Tools for Political Analysis
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. Activities are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. They vary each term based on availability, but activities may include:
- The Military Dictatorship and Human Rights
- Food, Local Culture and Supply Chain
- Pandemic and the Economy
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. They vary each term based on availability, but excursions may include:
- Pomaire Trip
- Valparaíso & Viña del Mar Trip
- Isla Negra Trip
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s search tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising