IFSA - SUMMER IN PRAGUE
Prague, Czech Republic
WHY STUDY IN PRAGUE
Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is one of Central Europe’s oldest gems, but also one of its rising stars. Home to innovation, art and creativity, Prague is the gateway to the “new Europe” within the Czech Republic and neighboring Germany and Austria. The city’s train stations, bus networks, and airport make Prague an ideal base from which to explore Europe. With a plethora of cafés, cathedrals, and museums, there is no shortage of local wonders to experience in Prague, and an excellent public transportation system allows you to traverse the city with ease.
As a nation that has successfully transitioned from communist rule to a stable democratic government, the Czech Republic stands out as a modern political and economic success story in Central Europe. Experience this cultural and historic treasure for yourself!
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Prague is home to some of Europe’s most distinctive architecture — as well as some its most affordable prices. Get to know the city’s iconic buildings, from modern wonders like Dancing House to historic structures like Prague Castle—and the unique social and political factors that helped define them.
Studying computer science? Get a completely different view of Czech culture by exploring the city’s lively tech scene with a focus on computer game development, gaining valuable skills and insights with a combination of theory and workshop practice.
This flexible program includes options for one or two four-week sessions, with the opportunity to layer in an eight-week internship with IFSA Summer Internships in Prague
During your IFSA Summer in Prague, opt to take a class during the four-week Session 1 or take a class during the four-week Session 2. You can also extend your studies by enrolling in both Session 1 and Session 2.
Session 1 Class
Session 2 Class
- Architecture and Design in Prague: From Fairytale Castles to Communist Blocks
- Computer Games Cultures and Industry
Please visit Summer in Prague
for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. They are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but previous events have included:
- Tour of Historic Prague: Let yourself be smitten by the beautiful historic downtown and learn about the story of a nation throughout 700 years of history.
- Farmer’s Market: Join the social event of Saturday market shopping among locals, partly guided, partly for you to explore the smells, sounds, shapes, and colors of local products. And, of course, there’ll be a tasting!
- Prague’s Story through Architecture: Your first dip into the local history will prepare you for wandering the streets of Prague with new appreciation and cultural awareness.
- Cookout with Czech Peers: It is hard to meet Czechs among the tourist crowds of summertime. This activity is a great opportunity for you to do just that – and get a few tips and insights from locals. Plus, you’ll fall in love with chlebícky (open-faced sandwiches).
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. Excursions vary each term based on availability.
- Karlštejn Castle Tour: Just an hour outside of Prague, explore this jewel of a 14th century gothic castle and spend the day enjoying the countryside.
- Scenic Brewery Visit: Enjoy a short hike in Prague’s countryside to visit a brewery and tour one of the stars of the traditional beer-making industry (Únetice)!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s Global Wayfinder tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study. Consider aspects such as your day-to-day living experience or your interests to find your ideal program.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising