IFSA - STUDY IN BARCELONA PLUS
WHY STUDY IN BARCELONA?
A thriving metropolis located along the Mediterranean Sea, Barcelona is one of Europe’s true gems. The city features a beautiful Mediterranean climate, a vibrant business environment, a reputation for some of Spain’s best food, and an “old city” charm complete with iconic Gaudi architecture at seemingly every turn. This student-friendly city is proudly and staunchly Catalunyan, providing insight into the culture and politics of one of Spain’s most intriguing regions.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
How can you make an amazing Mediterranean semester even better? With even more choice. Designed for students with a GPA of at least 3.0, this program allows you to select IFSA classes that deepen your understanding of Catalan culture and enroll in a class, in English or Spanish, at prestigious Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) for top-quality instruction in finance, communications, politics, and more. Outside class, analyze financial trends or help develop a social media campaign with a resume-boosting internship. Take advantage of endless opportunities to build your Spanish skills, even if you’re starting from scratch!
Build your own curriculum with a combination of IFSA classes and a Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) class. Select three to four IFSA classes and one UPF class for a total of 12-15 U.S. semester credit hours. Each class is worth 3 U.S. semester credit hours. A second UPF class may be chosen for a supplemental fee.
In addition to your classes, if you’ve never studied Spanish before, you’ll take Essential Spanish. This 1 U.S. semester credit hour course in contemporary Spanish language and culture is taught intensively during the first weeks of the program. If you wish to study Catalan instead, you may do so by enrolling in a Catalan language class at UPF.
UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA (UPF) CLASSES
Choose one elective at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). At UPF you are invited to not only share academic classes, but also campus life including services, clubs, and activities. More than 170 classes are available in politics, management, communications, finance, humanities, and social sciences – as well as limited selection of biomedical and computer science offerings. Most classes are taught in English; some classes can be taken in Spanish for students with level B2 language proficiency.
- Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies (BaPIS)
- Escola Superior de Comerç Internacional (ESCI)
- ESCI-UPF International Business Program
- Hispanic and European Studies Program (HESP)
- IBEI-UPF International Relations Program
- Basic Biomedical Sciences Program
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
IFSA classes explore disciplines through the lens of the self and the city, helping you to understand the subject in the context of Barcelona, and to apply lessons learned to your future self.
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Design Thinking
- The Economics of Professional Soccer
- Entrepreneurship: Creating a Plan of Action
- Food Culture and Spanish Society
- Identity and Politics in Spain
- International Finance
- International Internship Seminar
- Service Operations Management
- Social Media Marketing in the Age of Self
- Social Psychology
- Sustainability and the Global City
- Understanding Spain through its Art
Check out IFSA Study in Barcelona
. It’s the same great program, minus the option to take a class at UPF—and our most affordable option.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. Activities are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. They vary each term based on availability, but activities may include:
- Architecture and Design
- Barcelona as a Business Hub
- Learning about the Catalan Independence
- Food and Local Culture
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. They vary each term based on availability, but excursions may include:
- Figueras and Girona Trip
- Cavas and Montserrat Trip
- Seville Trip
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s search tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising