IFSA - IFSA STUDY IN SHANGHAI: INTENSIVE CHINESE LANGUAGE
WHY STUDY IN SHANGHAI?
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the past hundred years—from an early trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced businesses and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Find your home in a vibrant, student-friendly neighborhood, with our program center just around the corner from Shanghai University of Finance and Economics.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
If you’re eager to make rapid gains in Chinese language, this program is for you. With 20 hours of weekly instruction, a 24/7 language pledge, and a family homestay option, real progress is in your reach. Along with stronger language skills that create a solid foundation for many international careers, you’ll get an authentic sense of local culture and values by sharing meals and traditions with Shanghai citizens and exploring a fascinating city where skyscrapers and temples share the landscape. Popular among students majoring in Chinese language and Asian studies.
The IFSA Study in Shanghai: Intensive Chinese Language academic track offers 20 hours per week of Chinese language instruction for students who wish to focus on improving their Chinese language skills. To enroll, students must have completed at least two semesters of prior Chinese language study.
A placement exam during on-site orientation determines each student’s appropriate language level. (15 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Intensive Beginning Chinese II
- Intensive Intermediate Chinese I
- Intensive Intermediate Chinese II
- Intensive Advanced Chinese I
- Intensive Advanced Chinese II
- Intensive Advanced Chinese III
- Intensive Advanced Chinese IV
- Intensive Advanced Readings in Chinese
Students also have the option to take one of the IFSA Study in Shanghai elective classes taught in English, bringing their course load to a total of 18 credits. Not all electives may be offered in a given semester depending on enrollment and faculty availability.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
- China: Economic Giant
- China as a Global Market
- City and Environment
- Contemporary Chinese Politics: State, Party, People
- Environmental Health
- Exploring Community & Culture in a Global Context
- International Internship Seminar
- International Money and Finance
- International Trade: A Chinese Perspective
- Managing Enterprises in China
- Nutrition, Food Safety and Security
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Public Health Policy and Practice in China
- Sino-U.S. Relations: Superpower and Realignment
- Survey of Art in China
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. Activities are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but may include:
- Art Tour of West Bund Cultural Corridor
- Visit to Manufacturing Plant
- Food and Local Culture
- Tai Chi and Calligraphy
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. They vary each term based on availability, but excursions may include:
- Water Town Trip
- Local Community Visit
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s Global Wayfinder tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study. Consider aspects such as your day-to-day living experience or your interests to find your ideal program.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising