IFSA - SUMMER IN SHANGHAI
WHY STUDY IN SHANGHAI
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the past hundred years—from an early trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced businesses and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Find your home in a vibrant, student-friendly neighborhood, with our program center just around the corner from Shanghai University of Finance and Economics.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Choose your ideal Shanghai summer. With eight levels of Chinese language instruction, it’s easy to find the perfect fit your skills. Designed for rapid improvement, our language classes include plenty of time to get out of the classroom and practice both with peers and around the city.
Passionate about sustainability? Shanghai’s rapid development provides plenty of examples of successes and challenges in urban planning. Take advantage of your front row seat to explore China’s rise as a global economic powerhouse in just four decades.
This flexible program includes options for one or two four-week sessions, with the opportunity to layer in an eight-week internship with IFSA Summer Internships in Shanghai
Session 1 Classes
Session 2 Classes
- City and Environment
- Chinese Language (Beginning-Intermediate-Advanced)
- China: Economic Giant
- Chinese Language (Beginning-Intermediate-Advanced)
Please visit Summer in Shanghai
for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. They are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but previous events have included:
- West Bank Gallery Walk: Learn how art fosters international exchange during a guided walk along the Cultural Corridor riverfront in West Bund, visiting art galleries featuring foreign and Chinese artists. The guided walk concludes at the lobby of the newly established West Bund x Pompidou Museum.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Museum: Traditional Chinese medicine has more than 3,000 years of history. Through this guided tour, you will be introduced to the basic traditional Chinese medicine theories, useful daily diagnostics, and treatment methods including acupuncture and moxibustion, Chinese herbs, dietary adjustment, acupressure, and cupping.
- Chinese Culture Workshop: Participate in the Chinese Culture Workshop and learn how to write Chinese calligraphy, play Mahong, and make Chinese dumplings.
- Urban Planning Museum: Wonder what Shanghai will look like in 10 or 20 years? Learn about the history of urban development in Shanghai and see models of future planning at the Urban Planning Museum. You will also use the metro to visit important city landmarks, see traditional Shanghai architecture, and get a little taste of its diverse food and culture.
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. Excursions vary each term based on availability.
- Suzhou Day Trip: Located at the lower end of the Yangtze River, Suzhou is famous for its resplendent gardens and beautiful scenery in addition to the city being one of the country’s four major embroidery centers in the silk industry. You will the explore this ancient water town and the garden style Suzhou Museum, designed by world renowned architect IM Pei.
- Huangpu River Cruise: Feast your eyes on magnificent views of building skylines and landmarks as you travel along both banks of the Huangpu River, allowing you to see the architectural diversity. In the evening, secure your spot on the deck to watch as the city lights up in dazzling lights and to get the best view of four of the most prominent high rises in Shanghai: Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai Tower, Shanghai World Financial Center, and Jin Mao Tower.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s Global Wayfinder tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study. Consider aspects such as your day-to-day living experience or your interests to find your ideal program.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising